Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Delicious whole wheat blueberry muffins


For my third recipe in the grain mill challenge, I wanted to make blueberry muffins for breakfast, and came across a recipe that looked good on Pinterest. I thought they would be good, but I didn’t imagine that they would be as good as they were! These are now my favorite blueberry muffins, and my whole family agrees. They are healthy, but they have such a wonderful flavor. They are moist, not too dense, and sweet but not so sweet that you feel like you are having cake for breakfast. I used coconut oil for its health benefits and I think that it also enhanced the flavor with its subtle taste. I was surprised that these do not have egg in them, as most muffin recipes I’ve made usually call for egg. I wondered if they would bind together well without it, and they did. I didn’t have any brown sugar, so I used a mixture of sucanat and regular organic sugar, and I loved the amount of sweetness. These were incredibly easy to make and I found that flavor to be perfect. I am so glad I found this recipe-it is a must try!
100% Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
Slightly adapted from a recipe I found here and originally adapted from King Arthur Flour
I N G R E D I E N T S :
2 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour (I used freshly milled soft white wheat flour but you can you store-bought wheat if you prefer to)
1 cup (7 1/2 oz) packed light brown sugar (I didn’t have any brown sugar so I used 3/4 cup sucanat and 1/4 cup organic sugar)
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup fresh blueberries (use either fresh or unthawed frozen berries)
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
sugar and cinnamon to sprinkle on top
D I R E C T I O N  S :
If milling flour, mill enough soft white wheat berries for 2 1/4 cups flour. I usually mill a larger amount of flour every so often, and store what I don’t use in the freezer (to better preserve it) rather than milling it each time beforehand.
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line muffin pan with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Be sure to break up any clumps of brown sugar. Stir in the blueberries. Add the coconut oil, buttermilk, and vanilla to a measuring cup and whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry and stir just until they are incorporated.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared liners, filling each about 3/4-full. Lightly sprinkle a small amount of cinnamon and sugar over each muffin. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, or until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed with your fingertip, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing them to the rack. 

No comments: