Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Homemade granola

I had been wanting to make some granola for breakfast because we are always buying the packaged kind, and the homemade version is healthier and definitely less processed. I made this and it is delicious. I use coconut oil and combined honey and maple syrup, and loved the flavor. The dried fruit adds a sweet and tart punch and I especially love the addition of dried cherries. You could also use other types of nuts and seeds to your liking. The amounts of what I add in often varies, depending on what I have and after making it numerous times, I just eyeball the amounts rather than measuring out every single ingredient exactly. We love this recipe and I make it weekly! It is healthy, filling, and  my husband and I have both found that our blood sugar feels so much better after eating it than when we eat packaged cereal. It's great served as cereal with milk and also over yogurt with fresh fruit. And I haven't made any granola bars with this recipe yet, but I am sure they would be great as well. I find most of the ingredients from the Earth Fare bulk bins unless I buy them in bulk at Costco (which is where I find my coconut and grape seed oils, sliced almonds, maple syrup and dried fruit).

Homemade granola

I N G R E D I E N T S :
3-4 cups oats
1 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, and /or raisins (I use all three but you could use less to cut out sugar)
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (I find unsweetened at earth fare in containers near the bulk bins)
1/4 cup golden flax seeds (if I have them)
2 Tbsp chia seeds (if I have them-I buy them in bulk at Costco)
1/2-1/3 cup Tbsp. coconut oil (if I'm out of coconut oil, I use grape seed oil and it's good, too)
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large pinch sea salt-I use Real Salt from Earth Fare in the bulk bin because it has more minerals
ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Combine oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit and shredded coconut in a bowl and mix.
Add coconut oil, honey, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place granola onto it in an even layer. If you've made   a large batch and it's making a pretty thick layer on the pan, sometimes using two pans works better. Sprinkle with salt and cinnamon. 
Bake on 300 degrees for 20 minutes or until granola is a golden brown, tossing once or twice during cooking to keep it from forming large chunks. I usually let it bake for 10 minutes and then toss around and bake for 10 more. You want to make sure to not overcook it or it will taste too done. It's usually good when the edges are turning a light brown, but you don't want it to be very brown all over, or it will taste overcooked.
Let cool and store in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.

No comments: